Monday, December 12, 2011

My First Sewing Project!!

Ok, I can't even begin to tell you how proud I am of myself.  Yes, of myself.  I completed my first sewing project!  I think I mentioned before how I've had a sewing machine since last Christmas and have been wanting to learn to sew for awhile, but just never "found the time" or (let's be honest) made the time to actually do it.  A couple months ago I gave myself a deadline and decided to go for it.  I signed myself up for a beginner sewing class and found a project to complete.

The sewing class was 100% necessary.  Those of you who sew will get a kick out of this.  I took the machine out a couple times and started to read the instructions to try to teach myself.  I spent hours, I mean HOURS, trying to understand the instructions just to thread the sewing machine and wind the bobbin.  Then after probably a combined total of five hours on two different occasions, I got out some scrap fabric to try to make a stitch.  Well I sat there and tried and tried and got so frustrated because I couldn't figure out why my needle was going up and down but not ever making a stitch!  Silly me didn't realize I actually had to do something with that bobbin I made...  Yes, I was trying to sew a stitch with a single top thread and it did not work out very well for me.  Needless to saw a beginner sewing class at JoAnn's was well worth the $17.50.  I should have just gone there from the beginning and saved myself a lot of time and frustration.

As a baby gift, Leah had given me some adorable homemade burp cloths!  We love them!  They are very thick and soft.  Since they are thick and absorbent, they supposedly work great for spit-up as well because it does not soak through the burp cloth onto your clothes.  Thankfully, we never got to test that one out.  Leah promised they were easy to make and somewhere along the line I had thought they would make a good first first project.  So when a good friend from DE was having a baby shower, I set set a deadline and went for it.  And she wasn't lying, they were pretty easy (once I figured out how to use the sewing machine).

Check out the final result:
(Sorry I had forgotten to take any pictures until it was almost too late so these are a few desperate last minute shots that didn't turn out great...)






Here's a link to the tutorial if you'd like to give them a whirl.

I feel very accomplished and am excited to take on project #2.  A big THANK YOU to Leah and her friend Sara (who first made the burp cloths and introduced Leah to the pattern) for helping me complete my first sewing project!

1 comment:

  1. Oh how fun! These turned out very well. Congrats!

    And it was so so great to see y'all this weekend! I'm so glad we got to catch up a bit. Tell Chris sorry every time we were talking people would interrupt.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Your comments make my day!