Thursday, January 24, 2013

When you don't feel like cooking...

When you don't feel like cooking sometimes a healthy dinner salad is an easy and quick alternative for a healthy weeknight meal.
 I admit with Chris being out of town so much over the last couple months with staff training and classes and with all the travel we did for the holidays I have gotten out of the habit of cooking dinners for us.  Quite frankly I haven't felt like cooking much at all this past month.  I have made food for us,  (I know I have because we have not starved...) but nothing fancy and nothing involving much of a recipe.  I need to get back into the swing of things.  I think its a lot like exercising- once you get out of the habit it is hard to motivate yourself to hit the gym or the trails, but once you make yourself and get started it gets easier...
 We don't eat out much and over the past 3 weeks I can only think of 4 dinners where we've eaten out or ordered in, but that is a lot for us.  
Feeling lazy again last night but still wanting to eat healthy, I had just planned a simple salad.  I baked some salmon with a little butter (you absolutely could and probably should use olive oil, I was just in a butter mood for some reason) and Magic Salmon seasoning.  (This is my favorite way to season and cook salmon for an easy meal.  Its very flavorful.)
I prepared my bed of greens with grape tomatoes, avocado, and walnuts and topped it with the baked salmon.  Because pineapples were $1.99 each at Kroger we had some pineapple on the side.  Although I did have homemade bread as well (not baked recently- remember I'm feeling lazy?  I had baked a bunch of loafs and froze them several weeks ago right when we got home from Christmas.) neither of us were in a bread mood.  
I have been experimenting with more homemade salad dressings in attempt to move away from the processed dressings at the grocery store that are filled with high fructose corn syrup and sugar.  To be honest I haven't been very successful, but I did really like the lemon vinaigrette I made to go over this salad.  (Thanks Julie!)
Don't ask me for the measurements- I have no idea.  But I used:
Trader Joe's Aioli Garlic Mustard Sauce (this stuff is amazing and is the only mustard you will ever need)
Fresh squeezed lemon juice
Olive Oil
Pepper
A little honey
Today I'm linking up with Kristine for #whatsonyoursalad.  She has a lot of great salad (and fitness) ideas and recipes, so be sure to hop on over to her blog!
Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Hey! I have a couple homemade salad dressings that are just FABULOUS!! Let me know if you are ever interested. Also, I try to use Newman's own when I buy in the store.....I'm pretty sure it doesn't have as much of the junk as the others :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Your comments make my day!