Tuesday, December 4, 2012

{WIWW} Self-portraits

First of all hats off to you bloggers who take your own outfit pictures.  My photographer, aka my husband, is out of town this week so I figured I would snap some shots of myself...not so easy.  Perhaps if I had a tripod it would be easier, but I'm not going to lie setting that up just sounds like a hassle.  Is it easier than I think?

I am not a photographer by any stretch of the imagination, so the first (and perhaps obvious) issue I ran into was that of the flash in the mirror.  Ok, turn flash off- check.  Well we don't have a lot of natural light in our house (which I hate) so I turned on all the lights I could find.  For the record everything always looks better in natural light vs. our cheap light bulbs, but oh well.  So my second attempt at pictures were still either too dark or blurry because the shutter was having to stay open so long to let in enough light.

Man oh man, it was a challenge.  But atlas here are the results.  Thanks for bearing with me this week. 
 









Shirt: Gap Maternity (thrifted)
Cardigan: Gap outlet a couple years ago
Belt: Target (new)
Skirt: Pea in the Pod Maternity
Boots: Nine West Outlet
Necklace: Stella B


First of all let me mention that I LOVE black pencil skirts; they are a classic wardrobe staple.  Second of all let me tell you how excited I was to find a maternity pencil skirt!!  Who knew?  Now of course you can't really get the "suck in your gut" high-waisted look (you know what I'm talking about), but still pretty impressive.

I don't do a lot of online shopping and I'm typically not an impulsive buyer, but I had been looking at some Stella B jewelry because it is pretty affordable and thinking "hmm, I wonder if I would like the quality?"  Then when I saw a facebook sale on this necklace for $16 with free shipping, I went for it.  I admit the free shipping is what sucked me in.  There are two things I hate paying for: shipping and parking.   I am pleased with my purchase.  I will say I was hoping and expecting the necklace to be a bit more of a deeper turquoise color, so I was a little disappointed that it was more of a pastel color, but I do still like it.


What do you think?



pleated poppy
The Hump Day Hop









Photobucket


6 comments:

  1. You did a great job! I'm impressed! I tried taking outfit pictures in the mirror yesterday and it just didn't work because it was too dark and the flash thing too. I finally got one, but I had to edit the heck out of it to get it to be useable. And a tripod really isn't that much work. It takes 2 minutes and then it's ready to use. I've found a few good uses for it, plus if you got one you could take pictures of your family every once in a while with the self-timer feature on most cameras. I took one of me and Tim by the tree with ours a few days ago. We didn't look that cute at the time but I wanted to document the tree. He made me promise not to post it anywhere. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jen! You look beautiful!
    You almost make me miss my pregnancy days, almost. Great job on the self portraits...haha! I've really enjoyed poking around your blog, you're love story is incredible, you've got a super sweet hubby :) I'm looking forward to following along!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute and well done with the photos. Stopping by from Hump Day Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  4. AWESOME outfit. love it! Your blog is great, so glad I found ya! I'm Hanna. I love making new friends. You can find my spot at www.bouffeebambini.blogspot.com

    you look great. I'm 27 weeks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute outfit!! I too love pencil skirts!! Yay for maternity ones!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. this outfit is so cute - you are adorable!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Your comments make my day!